Youth Voices Contest Guidelines
You(th) Matter invites you to express your views on the relationship between policing and democracy, in a NATIONAL COMPETITION to win CASH PRIZES. We want to hear from you!
The Youth Voices contest will showcase youth WRITING, FILM, and ARTWORK from communities nationwide.
THIS YEARS PROMPT:
What is the role of policing in fostering democracy?
Democracy is about elevating voices and we want to elevate YOUR voice!
There are many ways to tackle this question, so there is no one right answer. The questions below are meant to inspire you. You can choose one or focus on the general topic from your unique point of view.
- What do you want police to understand to help them uphold the
democratic principle of “by the people, for the people?”
- What should police officers know about your community so they can better
- How do you think policing might help realize the promise of a democracy
of the people and for the people?
- What role can policing play in promoting justice and equality?
- How might local police work with community members and community
organizations to help better realize the promise of our democracy?
Eligibility & Guidelines
Contestants must be between 14-18 years old.
Each contestant may only submit 1 entry
Contest begins on July 15th, 2021 and ends on January 4th, 2022
Prizes will be awarded to a Winner, Runner Up and Second Runner Up in each category.
Each Winner will receive $1,000
Each Runner up will receive $500
Each Second Runner Up will receive $250
**Questions about the contest can be emailed to: email@example.com